Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Green Giant:Raise A Giant #MyBlogSpark

RaGBanner
Bullying has been one of the most common problems all over the world in school for years. It is something that I wish I had the power to make it go away. You'd be surprised at how many children, teenagers even adults get bullied. I remember when I was in elementary school I was bullied by a group of girls who had more power with words than I have ever imagined. They threatened me with fights, said mean words to me and even spread rumors that weren't true. Little did I know these girls were the girls I'd be graduating high school with. So, imagine me getting bullied from elementary school up to high school, I felt powerless. And because of that, I hated going to school growing up. Sometimes I'd fake being sick or make myself sick to have a reason to go home. I would hide from these girls and do everything possible to avoid seeing them. In high school some teachers would let their students in class during lunch time so I took advantage of that and made classrooms my hiding spots during lunch. I felt depressed, worth less and felt like I couldn't be happy. But boy am I glad and thankful that I am 24 years young and out of that nightmare. Now, I have a brother who is 12 years young and hoping that bullying doesn't happen to him. I try to give him advice as much as I can and hope that he will take my advice into consideration to help prevent bullying happening to him. There are many programs and companies out there who have tried to help others prevent bullying. And many of them have really helped individuals with this issue.
Green Giant has taken action to help prevent bullying. They have partnered up with PACER'S National Bullying Prevention Center and We Day Minnesota to help parents Raise A Giant and put a stop to bullying in their community.
What is a Green Giant and what does it meant to be a Giant? Well, being a giant isn't about being the biggest or the best. Being a giant means standing up for others. It means lending a hand to those who are in trouble and speaking up for those who sometimes find it hard to speak up for themselves.  Studies show that an effective way to stop bullying is for kids to simply speak up and say, "That's not okay," when they see bullying happening. But asking kids to have the courage to stand up to bullying is a tall order and that's why they need our help.
I would love to write a letter here on my blog to my little brother. Even though I do talk to him daily about bullying I would also like to write him a letter from his big sis!

Dear Joe,
Although we have sat down plenty of times and spoke about bullying, I would like you to know that I am here for you no matter what. You are a great kid who is smart, always getting good grades in school, making friends and treating them as you would like to be treated. Remember I told you that, treat others as you would like them to treat you! I want you to be strong and always be proud of who you are no matter what anyone says. You are you and you are a Titan! You can always count on me for any advice that you need or even your friends. They too can come to me for advice if they need to. I am your friend, your big sister and your partner. You have so much potential and I believe that whenever you see someone getting bullied, you will stand up tall and say to that bully, "What you are doing is wrong. Bullying is wrong and you need to stop because bullying others is not nice." We have gone through so many made up scenarios where you have a list of sayings you can use when bullying happens right in front of your eyes. And I'm glad we wrote that list down. So that way you can remember them and look them over. I know it will come in handy one day. I remember when I was your age, I hated school because I was always being bullied. A group of girls would always pick on me and say mean things. I played nice and didn't say anything because I was scared of getting in trouble and getting suspended. So, I would walk away. Avoid them as much as I could. I figured if I did this they would laugh and say I was scared, but it didn't matter, the best thing was to walk away from it and avoid the situation. It worked sometimes, but not all the time. And that was ok with me because at least they knew I didn't want to fight. I know that bullying can be a hard depressing thing for any kid your age or any age to go through, but being the great kid that you are, I am confident that you will one day do the right thing and be a Green Giant. Stand up tall and say something! Love you Joe!

If you or anyone else would like to write a letter to your child, your sibling or family member you can do so at www.raiseagiant.com. There you will find a lot of information about Green Giant and how to prevent bullying from happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment